Monday, November 3, 2008

Invisible Ink

First, let me start by saying I'm thrilled to have married into such a large, wonderful, conservative, Irish-Catholic family. I'm also reassured (and more than a little bit relieved) that I am not the only one to have a few bones laying around, just begging for the doggie to drag out.

As I'm sure you all may know, I came into this family with not just a carry on . . . I brought a full array of fancy-pancy luggage. Let's see . . . I lived-in-sin and had not one, but two children out of wedlock. There's the crazy ex, an evil step-mother the likes of which Disney could not even conjure up, and an Irish/Italian mom (no further explanation there). Lastly, I have, as my mom would say, "a sick appreciation for art" . . . Body art that is.

Now, before you all jump to conclusions . . . I do not have a copy of a 70's Rolling Stones cover running down the length of my arms. I do, however, have a very pretty sunset (designed by yours truly) with a few scattered birds in flight. Very tasteful. The birds represent loved ones I have lost that have had a profound impact on my life. The tatoo is a reminder for me of just how precious life is, how short it can be, and how I have to live my life to the fullest.

That being said, my symbolic body art was for me, so I had it placed where, really, it's only seen if I'm wearing a bathing suit. The very last person I ever wanted to find out about it was my very loving, but ultra-conservative mother-in-law. Now, I know she would not disown me for my love of art. Afterall, I do love her David very much. However, I was sure she wouldn't be jumping through any hoops to have a look-see either.

Now, it just so happens, I do go to the beach from time to time. Many of these moments are spent with my new family. I can't say I ever really worried about any of my hubby's siblings (or spouses) freaking out over my tatoo. But someone, and I am not sure who, let the proverbial cat out of the bag. I never mentioned I didn't want mom to know . . . I just assumed we were all on the same page. (wink-wink)

So one bright, beautiful morning at the bike shop a young lady came walking by. It wasn't until she passed us, going up the ramp to the boardwalk, that we all took notice that she was covered in tatoos. I kind of felt a little ashamed, considering my little secret (which I thought was kept in the "circle of siblings"). It was then, a voice came rising up from behind me, "Look, that's going to be Debbie in a couple of years!" You guessed it! It was mom!

Now, looking back on that moment I just laugh. Mom knew . . . My little secret was out. I could now stop fretting over how to pull off a "retro" bathing suit and just be myself. To mom's credit, she never brings up my tatoo. I guess she just wanted me to know that she knew. That, and the fact that she also knew how much I do love her David. I love him so much, in fact, that I decided to get another piece of art to commemorate it.

So now, no more secrets. I feel loved and accepted into this wonderful family. In return, I love each and every one of them. Just the other day Mare-bear (Marybeth) gave me a great big hug and said, "Thank you for loving my brother." Of course, that goes without saying. I have waited a long time for David. I have honestly loved him since I was 19 years old. So, I gave her a great big hug back and said just that. Then I gave her a wink and said, "I had better love your brother, I have his name tatooed where only his eyes can see." Just don't tell Aunt Kathy!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute story!!

from a fellow cousin with a lot more ink than you ;)